First elementary school, then middle school, followed by high-school and ultimately you reach college. Countless words being accumulated and expressed throughout my academic career; let it be for research or a simple thank-you email to an instructor. Writing has made its presence clear to me-it’s the language of optimal communication from author to audience. It’s a way of showing your mastery of a language. Take for example, if you went to a foreign country for business without knowing the common language, you would probably start by pointing and grunting to satisfy you needs. You would then proceed attempting to pronounce words and phrases, this is when you start to experience positive feedback from natives. Gradually, you learn the alphabet in order to fully engage and understand the origin of words. Ultimately you will begin to write, thus showing off that you fully capable of comprehending the unique syllables associated with that language.
The Vietnamese language follows a very different approach compared to the English language. The overall tone of both speech and writing can be described as very direct, simple and blunt. It’s often very rare to find expressive writing such as poetry, many people would just become confused! Unlike how our influencers underwent the Romanism era, Vietnam did not experience such a time of emotional engagement in history. However, this type of style has influenced the clarity in which my writing undergoes. My grade-school teacher would always encourage me to express myself with words, but as I grew older I slowly realized ‘’expressive’’ and ‘’out of context’’ easily mashed up with one another. I started to read Vietnamese war books and appreciated the simplicity of the words, the meanings were clear and focused. This helped me find the beauty of writing with a more transparent-style, one in which the audience can understand without being confused.
I have given a broad overall description on my background as a non-native English writer in hopes of providing a better understanding on what influences my view on writing, as well as the effects it has on my style today before entering this course. Though much has remain the same, I now have a slightly more ‘’adaptable approach’’ when writing rather than ‘’simple and blunt.’’ I can say with up-most honesty, this course has reintroduced me to free-flow writing. Throughout my high-school years, I never wrote consistently on a daily-basics on topics where my personal opinion mattered. Up until now, my idea of writing was to get the overall point across in a clear straight line. This course allowed me to think about the true definition of writing on the standpoint of the individual in relations to his audience. I have a better understanding that writing can be easily shaped and molded according to what the purpose is. Take into consideration the different lexis of discourse communities, you wouldn’t use musical terms to describe the importance of auto body alternations to a mechanic. By choosing your ‘’language’’ to suit the audience, you are more likely to be successful in achieving your goals.
No comments:
Post a Comment